13 “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.
14 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.
There is no denying that our world is going at break-neck speed into crazy-town.
If you just turn on the news or visit a news web site you can read all about the antics and down right spookiness of our modern day.
The thing that is even more disturbing is the stats inside of the church!
1 out of 2 marriage end in divorce (this is inside the church).
Church membership and commitment has dropped exponentially over the last three years alone.
I personally think the main reason is that many in our churches are not truly taking what Jesus did for them as PERSONAL.
We have grown up in America, and for many of us have been in church most of our lives, and we’ve been to Sunday School, and VBS…and we’ve heard the stories…
We know that Jesus died on a cross, and three days later he came back to life. We’ve seen it on movies, and we have heard all about John 3:16.
What this all boils down to is that it’s familiar. Nothing is life shaking. It’s just part of our routine. We love the idea of Jesus, but in reality when push comes to shove nothing about what we do in our lives is transforming. I speak this from personal experience. I was part of the ‘don’t rock the boat culture.’
Then I read this verse….
15 And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again. -2 Cor. 5:15
This caused in me a shift in me, personally.
It made what Jesus did for me PERSONAL. It was not just some foggy far out there idea. I had a stake in this thing now. Jesus died for me…but not just died…he came back to life, and as a result of this…I’m JUSTIFIED before God the Father. I have right standing with God because of what JESUS did for me. All of my sins are forgiven. (Past, present, and FUTURE)
Now that causes me to see things in a totally different light.
It causes Matt 5:13-16 to take on a whole new life.
If we as Christians started truly being salt and light what would it look like?
Salt does what? It preserves. It keeps things good.
We should be known for persevering good in our culture. Not caving into the evil of our day.
What does light do? Light scatters and dispels darkness.
What are some tangible ways in which we can live this out?
1. Stop playing with sin. Don’t tip toe around sin…we run from it. We confess it, we repent of it.
2. Get into a community of other believers that push us towards holiness…and when we are pushed on we need to be willing to except that word.
3. Our conversations need to be different. Our focus is Gospel-Centered. No more idol chatter…we focus on the mission at hand.
4. Talking to people about Jesus needs to be become like second nature. Whether you’re at the gas station or grocery store you talk to people about Jesus. Invite them into this thing called a RELATIONSHIP with Jesus.
5. Forgiveness should become just as natural as breathing. Don’t hold grudges. Regardless of the issue or circumstance, we FORGIVE! Jesus has forgiven you and I of much so therefore we must forgive of much!
If we begin to live this out like this, and start to take this thing personal…this is when things begin to transform. People begin to come alive for the Glory of God. Life is no longer boring…it’s an adventure everyday! It becomes meaningful. You begin to have purpose, and as a result you are now living a BIBLICAL lifestyle, and that is what God wants for each of us.
Post a Comment